Selden Society 2017 lecture series
Supreme Court Library Queensland (SCLQ) is pleased to host the annual Selden Society lecture series.
The 2017 program comprises five engaging lectures from high calibre speakers:
- Lecture one: Justices of US Supreme Court — Chief Justice John Marshall and the establishment of judicial review, presented by the Hon Justice John Bond
- Watch the recording of lecture one on the SCLQ YouTube channel
- Lecture two: Leading cases of the common law — McKenzie v McKenzie  P 33, presented by Ian Hanger AM QC, Thursday 22 June
- Registration now open — register online
- Lecture three: Justices of the High Court of Australia — Justice Mary Gaudron, presented by the Hon Justice Roslyn Atkinson AO, Thursday 24 August
- Lecture four: Notable trials — The trials of Oscar Wilde, presented by the Hon Alan Wilson QC, Thursday 19 October
- Lecture five: Inaugural Lord Atkin lecture, presented by the Hon Susan Kiefel AC, Chief Justice of Australia, Tuesday 28 November
Online self-registration will be available the month prior to each lecture â please bring your ticket to each event for quick check-in. For more information, visit legalheritage.sclqld.org.au/2017-lecture-series.
During the last four years there has been great support for the lecture series from the Queensland judiciary, legal profession and law schools resulting in high attendance at each lecture, with many more viewing the lectures via live streaming in regional Queensland and on the SCLQ YouTube channel.
If you are interested in joining the Selden Society or renewing your existing membership, please visit legalheritage.sclqld.org.au/join-selden.
Photo: John Selden, after Unknown artist, Oil on canvas, 17th century? 749mm x 629mm, Purchased, 1859, National Portrait Gallery (NPG 76)